How Does the Program Work?
- The Production Periods are 24 months in length for Cattle and Bison Producers and 18 months for Crops and all other livestock commodites, beginning April 1st.
- Continuous Flow (Livestock Feedlots) cash advances are a 12-month term, not exceeding the end of a production period.
- Producers repay at the same advance rate per head as chosen at the time of their advance, which is approximately 50% of the market value of the commodity. This allows for any additional income to be retained by the producer.
- The Cash Advance must be repaid within the Production Period and repayments of the agricultural product are to be made as the commodities are sold and proof of sale provided to MLCA.
- Producers must be actively participating in an eligible Business Risk Management Program (BRM). Cattle Producers can secure the loan using Agristability or Western Livestock Price Insurance Program (excluding breeding inventory). All other livestock commodities must use Agristability. Crop Producers can use either Crop Insurance or Agristability.
- Please note that advances are limited to a maximum of $1,000,000.00, with the federal government paying the interest on the first $100,000.00 of the advances on all commodites.
- All repayments made are put towards the interest free portion of all advances first.
Using Western Livestock Price Insurance (WLPIP) as the BRM,
the following criteria must be met:
- The cattle for which the advance is based must be the same animals for which the WLPIP contract is purchased, this may require an on-farm inspection by MLCA to verify the inventory.
- The Producer must provide MLCA with a copy of the WLPIP contract (Statement of Coverage and Premium), which is issued through MASC in Manitoba or SCIC in Saskatchewan. The Producer must show they have fully paid their WLPIP premium prior to issuance of an advance.
- The Producer must maintain continuous WLPIP Contract coverage throughout the duration of the cash advance, until the animals have been marketed. This may require a new contract to be purchased from WLPIP.
- Where the Producer makes a claim against their WLPIP contract (allowable at any time within 30 days of the contract expiration date) or where the WLPIP contract expires and the Producer has not yet marketed the animals, the producer is in an overpayment situtaion. The Producer has 30 days to repay the loan in full or go into default.
- The Producer must complete an Assignment of Indemnity Form to ensure that MLCA receives the proceeds from a WLPIP claim.
For more information on WLPIP call:
Standard APP Advance: Livestock
- Advance is based on the number of live heads. Choose the rate per head that is closest to the anticipated selling weight of the animals. Market Breeding inventory are now eligible (these are animals intended to be marketed as breeding inventory).
- Sale proceeds of Livestock must go directly on the advance within 30 days of receipt of payment from the buyer or 60 days of delivery to the buyer (whichever is earlier). Proof of must be provided with your payment.
- Repayments are calculated using the rate per unit in effect at the time of the advance.
- Proof of sale must be provided or the penalty is prime plus 0.25%
Continuous Flow Operations: Livestock: 12 Month Advance (i.e.: Feedlots or revolving inventory)
- Continuous Flow Operation means a "farming operation where the animal inventory remains constant during the prodution cycle through continuous rotation of animals (animals sold or disposed of are immediately replaced with new ones)." *Only one Continuous Flow loan can be taken per program year.
- Proof of sale is required by maturity date, based on the number of heads that were originally pledged, or the penalty is prime plus +0.25%
- Repayments are calculated using the rate per unit in effect at the time of advance.
- Repayments are made at the end of the 12 month term. Ensure that you have sale slips for at least the number of head that was originally pledged. Proof of sale must be from within the 12 month term of the advance.
- The advance is calculated using the amount of inventory that you wish to pledge for an advance. Please put the heads into the category of their anticipated selling weight. Breeding inventory are not eligible
- 1st Instalment: Based on intended seeded acreage (60% of advance amount)
- 2nd Instalment: Based on Actual seeded acreage (Remaining 40% of requested advance)
- Post-Production & Stored Advance: Advance based on commodity that has been harvested and in the bin.
- 18 month production period.
- Repayments are to be made within 30 days from receipt of payment from the buyer or 60 days from delivery to the buyer, whichever is earlier. Proof of sale required.